Before civilians learnt to consider Gps navigation technology as a given, it had been used mainly like a military application. It can make sense, obviously, because couple of fields depend on geographic positioning quite around the military. Some time ago two chaps, Rajat Baijal and Manoj K. Arora, authored a comprehensive article around the military applying Gps navigation technology. They found six broad uses:
1) Navigation: Based on the pair, the united states military first grew to become conscious of involve Gps navigation devices within the first Gulf War when no more than 1000 devices were initially issued and also the total count for that war became over 9000. They are not just essential for soldiers to locate their means by enemy territory but additionally to ensure that bases know about soldiers’ locations in situation an urgent situation evacuation is required, or perhaps an air raid is purchased.
2) Tracking: Gps navigation systems may be used to track soldiers’ movements, convoys and enemy activity. Gps navigation-related tracking technologies are being improved constantly and it is frequently used along with radio and computer systems to enhance precision.
3) Weapon guidance: Paying homage to the very first Gulf War again, a great deal is made about new technology that will allow missiles to become led to pinpoint precision to get rid of civilian deaths. Greater than twenty years later and pinpoint precision continues to be a phrase to become taken with many different salt, but there’s without doubt that Gps navigation led weapons play a huge role to keep lower casualties.
4) Save: This might come under navigation, because the two are carefully related. Gps navigation devices transported in backpacks or baked into uniforms or any other equipment might help save teams achieve troops in distress rapidly and keep watch for approaching opponents.
5) Mapping: Gps navigation checking and positioning technology may be used to update maps rapidly and precisely, to ensure that commanding officials always understand what the terrain appears like.
6) Facility management: This relates to mapping because it offers an accurate layout of military facilities, making base management much simpler.
The years have marched on since Baijal and Arora authored their article. For example, just recently the tiniest Gps navigation receiver on the planet was unveiled. The MicroGRAM Gps navigation receiver involves us from Rockwell Collins. It’s 90% smaller sized compared to company’s formerly tiniest receiver and can be suited to a level wider selection of military equipment, including gun and laser scopes and unmanned aerial vehicles.